Janitorial Technician Job Opening
April 7, 2017
Organization: Utica Zoo/Utica Zoological Society
Location: Utica, NY, United States
Job Title: Janitorial Technician
The Janitorial Technician reports to the Director of Administrative Operations. This position contributes to the success of the Utica Zoo by effectively performing routine and standard custodial duties and functions throughout the zoo in order to meet operating needs to provide an exceptional guest experience.
To apply, please email resume to HR@uticazoo.org or stop by the Zoo’s gift shop to fill out an application. Must be submitted by April 19th, 2017. Interviews may be scheduled on a rolling basis.
This position will generally be scheduled Tuesday-Saturday with some nights and other days as needed. This position is Full Time: Hourly, Non-Exempt, and Benefit Eligible.
Position Summary: Performs activities related to the upkeep of the zoo grounds, walks, public areas, parking lot, restrooms, offices and other areas. This position is integral to the first impression of visitors to the zoo.
- Perform general custodial cleaning duties as directed by supervisor, including sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, waste collection, rug cleaning, paper picking, laundering, etc.
- Cleanliness and daily cleanup of Zoo including restrooms, walkways, playground, guest areas, staff areas, grounds and trash.
- Over-all cleanliness & tidiness of zoo grounds, buildings, and walkways
- Provide custodial support for special events and rentals.
- Assist construction and maintenance of various small projects
- Responsible for hanging and maintaining all zoo graphics
- Storage, inventory and ordering of necessary equipment and supplies.
- Schedule daily operational duties, special projects, and preventative maintenance
- Assist and participate in all departmental activities, including meetings.
- Assure work, equipment, work areas, and self, represent the Zoo in a safe, clean, professional, and orderly manner at all times.
- Adhere to Zoo safety standards, procedures, and use of safety equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be assertive and proactive, results oriented and resolution focused, structured, yet flexible, with good follow-through and time management skills.
- Strong interest in custodial work with a minimum of 1yr experience.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and special events as the schedule demands
- Must be reliable, dependable, and flexible.
- Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Ability to relate positively with a diverse staff and diverse groups of visitors
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions and work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- High School graduate or equivalent combination of training and/or experience required.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50 lbs. Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
To apply, please email resume, and salary requirements to HR@uticazoo.org Position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is found.
The Utica Zoo (Utica Zoological Society) is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).