Zoo Keeper Job Opening
April 7, 2017
Organization: Utica Zoo/Utica Zoological Society
Location: Utica, NY, United States
Job Title: Zoo Keeper
The Utica Zoo is seeking a dynamic team member to join our Animal Care Department. Essential job functions and responsibilities may include but are not limited to animal care, habitat/enclosure maintenance, behavioral enrichment, special projects, recordkeeping, training, and assist in safe captures, restraint, transport and veterinary procedures. This position reports to the Zone Area Manager. May supervise and train interns. The Utica Zoo sits on approximately 80 acres, 40 of which are developed. The Zoo has over 200 animals from 80 different species and is striving towards AZA Accreditation.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to HR@uticazoo.org Position will remain open until an appropriate candidate is found.
Full Time: Hourly; Non-Exempt
- Carries out all aspects of the daily care of assigned animals including cleaning, feeding, exhibit maintenance.
- Complete daily reports, logs, training and enrichment records, etc.
- Record and report any abnormal animal behavior or health to appropriate supervisor.
- Maintain and organize exhibits, equipment, and keeper areas
- Maintenance of enclosure materials, such as watering plants, cleaning of materials including perching, nest boxes, substrate, feed containers and decorative materials.
- Contact and interaction with zoo visitors to present zoo and animal information in a formal and informal setting
- Involvement in research projects conducted by zoo staff or outside researchers
- Recognize and report any maintenance, safety or exhibit problems.
- Participation in animal enrichment as part of daily care for each animal under his/her care.
- Assist veterinary staff as needed with supplements, treatments, procedures, restraint etc.
- Participation in conservation and training programs as required.
- Assist department supervisor and other departments as required.
- Work with a variety of taxa in our Program Animal department as well as the general collection. This includes large and small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and invertebrates.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Biology, Zoology, Animal Sciences, or related fields with relevant course work strongly preferred.
- Minimum of one year of employment in animal care at a zoo or equivalent facility
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong positive attitude and organizational skills
- Strong understanding and appreciation of the importance of guest service.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of modern zoological practices
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to exercise good judgment, fairness and tact.
- Good communication skills within department, between departments, and ability to work as a part of a team required.
- Must be able to walk, stand for long periods, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry up to 50lbs. Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and special events as the schedule demands
- Must successfully pass a background check and must have a valid, current driver’s license.
Annual tuberculosis testing is required. Vaccination for rabies or other zoonotic diseases may be required.
The Utica Zoo (Utica Zoological Society) is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).